A journey around the world in somewhat more than 80 days, with the British born but global hearted nomad - Kirsten Anderson. Like fusion food, these stories and sagas from across the continents, combine various international flavours that will hit all of your senses and emotions... Updates are not to be missed!

Sunday, May 29, 2005

In memory of Art

I recently received some sad news that a great friend to many of Koh Phi Phi's past and present residents, was found dead in Phuket earlier this month.

Art was known to many on the island, as the smiling face beaming from his beer and liquor stall in the heart of market place. He was a warm and friendly person, who had a genuine nature and loved chatting to us when we passed by. K1 taught him to be an open water diver, one of the first Thai students we'd had, I think, and everyone was proud that he'd passed with flying colours! A grade student for sure!

Although I've been off the island for a while, he was definitely one of my favourite faces to see and I know there are many people who will miss him dearly.

I've written this poem in memory of him and the wonderful island

Morning sun awakens me
A new dawn begins
An emerald carpet greets
The generations she has moulded

I walk with my ancestors
Barefoot and with grace
They are my support
I do not fear them

Once there was turmoil
Here on these shores
But together we have set
The foundations for our future

We will not look behind us
With sorrow or despair
But with dignity and strength
We carry each other forward

And as I softly tread
I leave my own legacy
A momentary impression
Which will remain here forever

And as I move towards
The new day beginning
Share the warmth with me
And enjoy my lasting smile

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Blogwise - blog directory